Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fast and Fun Holiday Wreath Pins


Wondering what little something you can share with co-workers during the holidays? These little wreath pins might be just the answer!


The purpose of this blog page is to share the instructions for the larger of the two sizes of wreath pins or brooches (pictured above) so you can make as many as you desire this holiday season. The finished measurement of the larger pin is 2 and 3/4 inches across.

This is a holiday accessory that has been around for decades; I did not originate it but I developed my own particular version and am sharing it here with you. You are welcome to use this pattern with these guidelines: Be sure to attribute this source when posting or presenting pins/brooches made from this pattern and refrain from publishing or selling the pattern or representing it as your own. Otherwise, no other restrictions apply. Enjoy making these for selling, sharing, giving or for your own personal use.

A few interesting points about these wreath pins:
they are fast and easy to make (about 10 minutes start to finish)
they make perfect little holiday gifts for family, friends, acquaintances and co-workers
each can be made uniquely to match the personality or color preferences of recipients
you can create multiples for yourself to match your outfits for work, church or holiday parties

Supplies:
Other than the worsted weight yarn, the above photo shows all of the supplies you will need to make these pins. I want to say a few words about some of these items because I have specific recommendations about a few of them.

1. Unique Stitch glue or Liquid Stitch glue: I think either of these brands are the best glues to use for this project. Unique Stitch and Liquid Stitch glue are especially designed for fabric and are washable—not that you would wash your wreath pin—but these glues are flexible and waterproof. I use either of these glues to adhere the pin/clasps to the back of the wreaths and to decorate the fronts. Two advantages: a.) the glue dries fairly fast and b.) the glue dries clear. With one squeezable tube you can complete dozens of wreath pins. For me, this type of glue is a MUST in my arsenal of craft supplies. You can purchase one or the other of these brands in the notion section of fabric stores but, just in case, you want more information about it, I am including the following info: Unique Stitch glue is manufactured by the W.H. Collins company in SC. The company's website is: www.collinsnotions.com. Liquid Stitch glue is manufactured in Spartanburg, SC by the Dritz company: www.dritz.com. I purchased Liquid Stitch at Wal-mart.

2. Plastic Loop: The loop size used for this wreath is 1 and 1/2 inches. This size, or something close to it, is another notion that you can find in fabric stores and often in craft stores, too. I also buy a smaller size and make wreaths that are about an inch smaller, when finished.

3. G Hook: For this larger wreath pin, I use a G hook. For the smaller one, I use an F hook.

4. Yarn: You can use any worsted weight yarn. My personal preference is to use heavier cottons to make the wreaths, such as Lily's Sugar 'n Cream, Pisgah's Peaches 'n Creme, or Lion Brand Lion Cotton. For this example, I used Lily's Sugar 'n Cream, Dark Pine.

5. Clips/clothespins: To firmly adhere the pin onto the back of the wreath, I like to use clips (seen left, above in the photo). If you do not use a clip of some kind, you can put a tiny amount of weight on the glued clasp until it dries. A clothespin can work for this. Be aware that you want the clasp to remain upright and not tilted.

6. Decor items: I bought garlands of decor that come in two small sizes: tiny and tinier and cut them from the stringing for wreath decor. Beads will work, too. Sometimes I use puffy paints for little holly berries and glitter puffy paint for little Christmas decor or accents.

7. Clasps/pins: When I first started making these brooches, I used little brass safety pins. Since then I graduated to purchased brass clasp pins that come in little plastic baggies from the craft store. The pins are about one inch long.

8. Ribbon: I have very thin ribbon on spools that I use to embellish the wreath pins. I also have some tiny pre-made velvety bows that I attach to the fronts of the wreaths. Thin metallic "ribbon" that I saved from packages received works nicely, too. Use whatever you have on hand or can adapt that will work.

Okay, lets' get started!

The how-to is so simple, you will only need the following photos with brief instructions to make holiday wreath pins to your heart's content.




Finish by decorating the fronts of your wreaths, as desired. Here's a close-up of one with tiny packages on the front. (I didn't "wrap" the packages. They are commercial items.)

Here are a few more wreath pin photos for possible inspiration.



One more thing:
Here's another oldie, but goodie: two little ice skates with paper clip blades. Free-formed; no pattern. But, because they were not as fast and easy to make, I set them aside. Maybe someone can create or share a good pattern. I'd be happy to publish it here.

Someone has kindly left the following web address in the comments.

http://nannysnook.netfirms.com/ornaments.htm

It features several little Christmas ornaments and instructions, including more interesting skates than the ones I posted. There are some good ideas at this site. Thanks to "anonymous" for sharing.




7 comments:

  1. Adorable!!! I'm definitely inspired by all these pretty wreaths you made here!.. And these could be nice for refrigerator magnets, gift toppers, and bookmarks too!! I may have to dig out some of my green scrap yarns and see what I can do! Thanks for the tutorial! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, very cute! I remember making something similar to these in elementary school using the plastic rings from 6-packs of soda. ;) I have also used sewing thread and a size 16 hook with a 1/4" ring for doll's house wreaths. :) Have never done them this size though as a gift...I'm envisioning 22 of them to go with dishcloths... LOL! Very nice blog for them as well. You are too creative! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re paper-clip skates, I came across this site with copies of old patterns - hope (as mentioned therein) it is OK copyright-wise

    http://nannysnook.netfirms.com/ornaments.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I recall making these in Home Economics class. Thanks for sharing. Cute little idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    I love your blog!
    i´m folow you now
    from Chile
    c@

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely!!!
    Best regards from Italy

    ReplyDelete